Yesssssss, we made it through year 1 of our debt free journey alive!
Who would’ve thought this day would come. May 20th 2018 was the day we held our first budget meeting in hopes of changing our financial future. The road wasn’t easy but we have no regrets.
Why not share some things we learned along the way:
- Budgeting is a game changer. I don’t think we could ever go back to not knowing where all our money goes.
- The first 3 – 6 months are the hardest. It was difficult getting accustomed to all the changes that we implemented.
- We had to give ourselves some Grace. Some months are bad, dust off the failures and try to do better.
- Learn our triggers and avoid them. Our trigger is eating out, we avoid it as much as possible because 1 slip up causes a hard relapse.
- An accountability partner is a must when you get fed up. You guys happen to be that for us. We hate posting failures so we try our best to do good.
- The journey isn’t stressful or depriving like we assumed it would be; it’s actually fun. You might think ‘nah, that’s a lie’, but we are enjoying the process.
- Our debt payoff date changed several times throughout the process. In May, we projected 3-4 years , but we are now gunning to be finished in 6 months
- Last but not least, we have learned that debt freedom is possible. Our original goal was just to free up some of our salary to make life easier but that has evolved into a much bigger picture. Our lives have completely changed for the better and we are excited to see what’s next.